OTHM Level 7 Diploma in Police Leadership and ManagementQualification Number: 610/0870/9
Globally, policing is undergoing a radical transformation driven by the desire for greater public accountability, the importance of community partnership and a growing crisis of confidence in both the integrity of services and more broadly police leadership. Policing in the future will shape decisions around transformation and how police forces use resources to help keep people safe and provide an effective, accessible and value for money service which can be trusted.
The principal objective of the OTHM Level 7 Diploma in Police Leadership and Management qualification is to develop the knowledge and skills which are required to operate in a senior leadership and management role within a police force where established authority and personal attributes translate strategic decisions into effective and efficient operational performance.
This is a specialised qualification which reflects current practice within the senior echelons of policing and offers learners the opportunity to study diverse aspects of the policing agenda within the context of public sector reform and to gain an enhanced appreciation and understanding of the skills and competencies required of senior police officers to meet modern day challenges.
Through engagement in study towards this qualification, learners will be required to participate in applied investigation. This will, through acquired knowledge, enable senior police officers to be in a stronger position to directly meet the requirements of evolving operating environments where a variety of challenges are posed to the role and function of policing created by the increasingly complex and globally connected world.
Learners will become competent and reflective practitioners, related to their current role, and in preparation for more challenging roles in the future.
The primary aims of this qualification are, therefore, to;
- Provide an international standard of strategic expertise in police leadership and management.
- Develop the knowledge and skills required to support effective and efficient strategy implementation.
- Encourage an understanding of the importance and impact of strategic police leadership and management where responses to public sector reforms are key considerations.
- Support and encourage new ways of thinking and new approaches to actual and perceived problems within policing.
- Provide a police officer with the knowledge, skills and confidence to proactively engage in the implementation of change.
This qualification is suitable for currently operational police officers who function in a senior leadership and management role. The qualification would also be suitable for police officers who have aspirations to operate in a strategic role.
The qualification is designed for learners who are typically aged 21 and above at the beginning of the course.
The entry profile for learners is likely to include at least one of the following:
- An honours degree in a related subject or UK level 6 qualification or an equivalent overseas qualification
- Mature learners (aged over 21) with relevant management experience (learners must check with the delivery centre regarding this experience prior to registering for the programme)
- English requirements: If a learner is not from a majority English-speaking country must provide evidence of English language competency. For more information visit English Language Expectations page in this website.
The OTHM Level 7 Diplomas on the Regulated Qualifications Framework (RQF) are at the same level as master’s degrees. However, they are shorter (120 credits) and learners will have to proceed to the dissertation stage (60 credits) with university to achieve a full masters programme.
The OTHM Level 7 Diploma in Police Leadership and Management consists of 5 mandatory units for a combined total of 120 credits, 1200 hours Total Qualification Time (TQT) and 480 Guided Learning Hours (GLH) for the completed qualification.
- Creating Strategic Leaders and Managers in Policing (20 credits)
- Public Sector Reform (20 credits)
- Digital Transformation in Policing and Cybercrime (30 credits)
- Strategic Project Management (30 credits)
- Strategic Consultancy Research Project (20 credits)
Duration and delivery
The qualification is designed to be delivered over one academic year for full-time study, but it is also flexible in its delivery in order to accommodate part-time and distance learning.
The qualification is delivered face-to-face, through lectures, tutorials, seminars, distance, online by approved centres only.
Assessment and verification
All units within this qualification are internally assessed by the centre and externally verified by OTHM. The qualifications are criterion referenced, based on the achievement of all the specified learning outcomes.
To achieve a ‘pass’ for a unit, learners must provide evidence to demonstrate that they have fulfilled all the learning outcomes and meet the standards specified by all assessment criteria. Judgement that the learners have successfully fulfilled the assessment criteria is made by the Assessor.
The Assessor should provide an audit trail showing how the judgement of the learners’ overall achievement has been arrived at.
The OTHM Level 7 Diploma in Police Leadership and Management qualification enables learners to progress into or within employment and/or continue their further study.
As this qualification is approved and regulated by Ofqual (Office of the Qualifications and Examinations Regulation), learners maybe eligible to progress to Master’s top-up at many universities in the UK and overseas with advanced standing. For more information visit the University Progressions page in this website.